Sunday, April 26, 2009

Postcard: Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Frederick, MD

This is Mt. Olivet Cemetery in Frederick, Maryland. The postcard shows the superintendent's residence. Researching on the web, I found no evidence that it is still there. This cemetery is positively on my "to see" list. This is the final resting place of Francis Scott Key. There is a beautiful monument in his honor at the entrance to the cemetery. The first burial was May 28, 1854. At that time the church cemeteries were all at capacity, so it was important to create a new one. Today there are over 34,000 silent residents.

1 comment:

Cousin Russ said...

Diane - You show stop and see this Cemetery. It is beautiful. I think that the post card is a picture of the house as you enter the cemetery now. I was there a couple of years ago, and I think the office is on the back side of it.

I have a list of some of the folk that I have tracked who are buried behind Francis Scott Key here: http://home.att.net/~rworthington/Burials/Burial_MD_MtOlivet.htm

Oh, like you, we had a common employer, but I am on the other coast. My daughter thought I needed something to do, so she got me started in Genealogy.

My wife has Wright's in her family.

Russ

A Member of The Association of Graveyard Rabbits