Monday, April 13, 2009

A Caretaker's Home


In older times a home was built for the caretaker and his family. Usually the cemetery was far out of town so it was an important convenience. Now this is the prettiest one I have seen. If I could live here, I would do the hard work that is required of a caretaker! Well, I would more than likely try to get my husband to do it instead.

I have seen a few on my trompings but not many. I added a topic on Graveyard Stew with caretakers homes. They are so interesting. Most of the stories are about them being torn down.

Does anyone have insight on caretakers homes? Are there any books on this subject? Please let me know of anything you have about this topic. I would love to hear from you.

2 comments:

Dorene from Ohio said...

I don't have any insight...but at
Oakland Cemetery in Sandusky, Ohio
there is a caretaker's home on the property. Right now I don't have a photo of it...but here is a link to a photo of the chapel, from the City of Sandusky's web site:

http://www.ci.sandusky.oh.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=9

Dorene from Ohio said...

I posted a very brief post regarding the chapel and residence at Oakland Cemetery in Sandusky, Ohio at:

http://graveyardrabbitofsanduskybay.blogspot.com/2009/04/chapel-and-residence-at-oakland.html

A Member of The Association of Graveyard Rabbits